Irrigation out of wastewater in Murviel
Experimental platform for the reuse of treated wastewater in irrigation
In the commune of Murviel-lès-Montpellier, access to water for irrigation will in the near future condition the maintenance of agricultural activity, and viticulture in particular. In the same territory, the treatment plant discharges large quantities of nitrogen and phosphorus into the environment, considered sensitive, and increases the pollution pressure.
In this context, the reuse of treated wastewater for irrigation appears as a relevant solution for:
- Reduce pollution and preserve the sensitive environment
- Facilitate farmers' access to water resources for irrigation
- Valuing nutrients from wastewater for agronomic purposes
Consortium and objectives
The experimental platform project funded by the RMC water agency is carried out in close partnership with Montpellier Méditerranées Métropole 3M, as well as several research units (INRA LBE, IRD-HSM, University Montpellier IEM, IRSTEA LYON).
The main objectives of this platform are
- Adapt the treatment of wastewater for use at the end of the treatment plant (irrigation or rejection)
- Optimize the sustainability and efficiency of irrigation systems
- Valorize treated wastewater from an agronomic point of view
- To control health and environmental risks (survival of pathogens in irrigation systems, the atmosphere or the soil, followed by emerging pollutants in the agricultural system)
The experimental work will focus on acquiring references :
_ Under controlled conditions (soil tanks) in the enclosure of a treatment plant (adaptable tertiary treatment, effect of emerging pollutants, pathogen regrowth and dispersion ...)
_ Under real conditions, on an agricultural plot of annual and perennial crops, with regulated practices, using improved irrigation techniques to reduce the possibilities of contamination.
- La red
Ville de Murviel-lès-Montpellier
Murviel-lès-Montpellier est une commune de près de 2000 habitants située à 15 kilomètres à l’ouest de Montpellier.